Saturday, July 6, 2013

Coloring Page Redux

There were a few things I didn't care for in the silhouette of the character, so I changed it. Do you see what it is? It's a minor thing if you don't, so don't worry. I'll tell you at the end of the post if you don't want to scroll down or can't tell. The same thing happened last week. Though I didn't color that one, I did redraw it.

First the amended drawing:


This was a character study, so I didn't do anything with the background. But in coloring it, I thought it needed more. I'd also forgot the earring I wanted to put in . I learned a lot doing this, (it took about six hours to color, which is all I wanted to spend). It's getting easier to think of ambient light and form. Sometimes the blending is a bit better. I'm using an old computer, an old Photoshop and a friend's old Wacom (I love it). I don't know if it was something I did or if it's the computer, but some of the drivers aren't working properly and the computer won't let me uninstall so I can reinstall, so I'm making it work. (yes there are times I get really frustrated over that, but I also figure if I can work under adverse circumstance, if they get better, it'll be a breeze. Besides Rodin was poor, blind and taught himself to draw, often using the the charcoal from his mother's files. If he can, than so can I with the amenities I've got). Anyhow, it's not the best, it's not the worst. And it was fun and I LEARNED a lot...


There are somethings more successful than others, and I got a bit tired. I'm glad I get to do this for myself now. If I were doing it for someone else, this wouldn't be done by a long shot. still I like the sheen of the shoe, some of the reflective lights and shadows. The quality of the colors. It's not a bad overall effort.

I reworked the other drawing as well. Again can you tell the difference (not fair I know, it's way down below, but perhaps you've printed it off and can see the differences? I'll let you know about the changes underneath.


Give up? His arm and her foot were too small in the original. I cleaned up a few of the forms, and some of the stuff with "Bruiser". On the original Pirate drawing, the shirt came out obscuring the teddy bear silhouette. I thought it much more interesting to see the teddy's outline and I made him a small bit larger.

In the coming weeks I'll be trying to incorporate my love of animals and environment again. I have some friends on Facebook who love certain kinds of creatures, I figured I'll try to incorporate those drawings on my page. Yeah, it's a blatant thing to try to entice them here. But also it's great practice and I love doing them. The more you do the easier and more thoughtful it gets. I really believe it's important for us to learn to live together. The old and they young, the human and the rest of the world, as well as all the different kinds of people. Feel free to give suggestions if you'd like to see a subject drawn out (get it, get it?! It's an artist joke!). I may or may not be able to get to it right away, but I appreciate the feedback, your taking the time to read my blog. Next weeks coloring page is for my daughter who is into sloths, from a friend of mine who lives in Costa Rica. 


No comments:

Post a Comment