Sunday, June 10, 2012

It may be a whirlwind, but it can be circuitous too!

As in windy, (wind-y, though it has been raining and blustery where I've been quite a bit!) and sometimes short circuited (how do I get there from HERE?!)! The hitch when trying to do everything at once, is figuring out the first steps first. I'm in the process of learning Photoshop, as well as in the process of relocating (for a few weeks). I'd done a few sketches I wasn't pleased with and if I can get my computer up and running tonight, will spend more time sketching. But it's not a given. It's great to have a plan when handling a lot of details (like illustrating isn't hard enough, lol!). I have a specific style in mind, right now I have to figure out the best way to get close enough to that. Photoshop isn't like traditional media, which would be time consuming, expensive and messy. Outside of the initial investment in Photoshop and the equipment to use it properly, the rest is figuring it out. There's lots of YouTube videos (I have my favorites, it's true, feel free to list yours). One of the ways I find out what I need instead of wading through an ocean of images, information and just mesmerizing work is to be specific when I put it into the info box, whether images, video or a search. This is NOT how it'll look, but it's getting closer and closer to what I want... I think the point is to be open-minded, ENJOY the process, and really allow yourself to slow down and think things through. I'm very lucky at the moment, I have minimal distractions so this coming week, I plan on throwing myself into this. I also know what I learn now doing this project, some of it will apply to my own work (I hope to begin Duke Day for Annie- I'm feeling more confident about drawing directly into Photoshop and learning a great deal about the effects, so I think in about or month or so I can confidently begin to tackle that project). If I'm able to post tomorrow, I shall take three or four of Margot's characters and show how I plan to draw them, break them down into their component character studies, and the next post I hope to have figured out how how to color them satisfactory. Upcoming will be doing landscapes (I haven't figured out if I want to do a bunch and plop the characters in ala Chuck Jones and animation technique, or render each specifically separate). I did do a very quick sketch of Kobi and his mom in a gum tree:


No comments:

Post a Comment